This weekend, I went home because I had a dentist appointment this morning. It's hard to believe it, since most people hate going to the dentist, but I actually LOVE it. I love how my teeth feel after they have picked, prodded, and polished them. They feel so glorious! However, my love for the dentist was not the reason for me writing...
While I was home, my mother had me clean out my room because I am graduating in May and my room needs to be cleaned out for when/hopefully I move out. During my journey to the center of the room, I found many wonderful treasures.
I found my old dolls, oh how I used to love to play with them. I also had all their old clothes as well. It was fun to see how the nail polish I painted on their eye lids (it was supposed to be eye shadow) was still there. Their hair was still impossible to even brush. Oh but I loved them very dearly.
I then found my Barbies, where do I even begin. Those Barbies defined who I was for a very long time (maybe too long, ha). I used to play Barbies for hours and hours! Yesterday, I still found myself finding the right outfits for the Barbies. I wanted to make sure they all looked good (There are just some types of clothing that look better on blonds than brunettes). I then had to go searching in the bottom of the boxes for shoes (I could never find two of the same ones). In addition, I had to look for Ken's head, it was always potting off when I played (very annoying). And boy were Those Barbies were warn with love.
But I think the item the meant the most to me during my treasure hunting that day, was the glass cross necklace which belonged to my great-grandmother. I have loved that piece of jewelery every sine the say I received it. It is a simple piece, but man is it pretty. I also found a necklace my grandmother gave me for my high school graduation. I have decide to wear that one at all time now. It is too pretty not to wear it.
It is fun to look back at what toys with which I used to play, the shining sliver items I received from the women in my family, and the love that ties them all together.It is all so beautiful (Don't worry you can cry, that was my intent. Its precious, I know )
Oh your barbies. We could NEVER find two shoes for them... and I remember poor neck-less Ken, his head propped up on his shoulders and always falling off... thanks, Ben, for undoubtedly ripping it off at some point. That's what happened to all of our Kens... Calvin Mann Bristow's hard work in action.
ReplyDeleteAnd the shoe cars!! Remember we used to put them in your shoes and drive them around? Great times with those Barbies.
oh yes...those Barbies were great....hahahaha
ReplyDelete